Monday, May 6, 2013

Race report: OC Marathon

Since I am to races 50k in August, and have been doing some long runs, I thought I might as well sign up for a marathon, my first.

I had been doing long runs somewhat fast and got the idea stuck in my head that maybe I could qualify for Boston, with a 3:35 (8:12 pace).

I registered for the oc marathon because it was flat, fast, and conveniently located and on the calendar.

I did some more long runs, some tempos, and fast hill climbs (CR on bishops peak!) and then tapered like no other the last week. I even took Friday off and ran three miles Saturday.

The race started at 5:30, so before I ate chicken, sweet potatoes, quinoa, and had my banana ice cream for dessert. I went to bed early full and happy and insanely excited. I had been antsy all week going through taper crazies! I couldn't believe I would toe the line and be finally doing my first marathon?!

At the start! It was early...

I woke up at 3:00 am and got my gluten free oatmeal, and then tried to sleep for another hour. But I had all the details and excitement going through my head that I just ended up staring at the ceiling until my alarm went off. When it did, I put on my race gear, taped two Gus to my sides and drank some water and waited for my mom to get out the door at 440. We showed up early, but it was fine. I was assigned corral 1 based off my 335 projected pace. I was excited because I was starting up front with the fast people! I got in line with the pace group and waited anxiously for the start.

I would see her 26.2 miles later

Gun went off and I started. I thought I was running conservatively, but after what seemed like two seconds we hit the two mile mark at around 730-735 pace. Whoa that was too fast. I felt great but tried to reel it in. The best I could do was around 745 for the first 6 miles. I was with some other people and moving up, we passed the ocean and my chattering was awkwardly to nobody as everybody had headphones. I forgot to pee in the morning so I had to quickly stop at mi 4. I lost my pace group, they were far behind me, and I kept pushing. I caught up with more people, chatted, and eventually found my way to the 330 group. I still felt great so I decided to stay with them and if I felt terrible, I had a cushion on 335 so I could fall back if necessary. I took the first gu at 9 mi and pocketed the gu they gave at 10.5. I used it at mi 14 and then again at mi 18 and pocketed the gu they gave at mi 20. Which I ate at mi 23. I took some Gatorade and water here and there not too much, but when I felt I needed it.

only a marathon? no problem... loving every second! 

At mi 10 I completely abandoned the splits I had worked out and written on my arm beforehand and had a great time talking to the pacer from mi 10-17 and exchanging stories. I was having a great time.  It started to feel Hardish around mi 18 but I kept pushing, telling myself I was strong, beautiful and finally a marathoner. I had to push myself. I could do 330. I was so excited by that idea. I followed the commands of the pacer and kept up. Mi 20-23 were the absolute hardest. I had separated a little and was about 50 ft behind the pacer. It was tough mentally and physically. My splits were the slowest there. But then I got encouragement from the cheering crowds and spectators and dug deep. I ran faster the next 3.5. I was averging 730s-740s, which was unimaginable at that mileage. I'm still shocked I could do that. I knew the finish was coming up fast and I was ready for it. I was tired. But I kept pushing. I passed people and sprinted the last 1/4 mi. I was grinning though the whole time. I finished and started crying tears of joy. I had dreamt of this moment for years but never new when it would happen. I hugged my mom and cried on her shoulder, it was really an emotional moment for me.


 hitting the wall clearly

I finished with a chip time of 3:30.06, a Boston qualifier! my garmin read 26.4 at 3:29.33 (26.2 split was around 3:28) but oh Well. It was good for 16th female and 1st in my age division by 28 min margin. I was ecstatic.




#1 for first of many!

I was soon hit by a brick wall of pain as the lactic acid and fast running caught up to me. I cramped up hard and my muscles still ache 24 hours later. Yes, I did the marathon shuffle all day, and being in a car for 6 hours coming home didn't help either. But I recovered well. A hot bath, lots of leftovers from last night and a delicious burger did me well.

So ecstatic about my race and excited to see what's in store for me. I ran comfortably for 18 miles and was chatting. It was my first marathon and I broke 3:30 barely training for it. Imagine what I could do! The potential! I'm psyched.

My skoras didn't fare as well as I did haha. They've taken a beating over all the miles they logged and are ripped, torn, and worn down... Maybe it's time for a new pair...

I was a bit emotional finishing

With my mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment