Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mountain goat

So it's almost been two weeks since my first marathon. And I am feeling fantastic!!

I was sore and tired the day after, but by Tuesday and Wednesday I was virtually recovered!

Nonetheless, I still took it easy that first week back. I did a slow one mi jog with friend Loren on tues (didn't mean to run until thurs), and spun on the bike for a bit tues and wed. But by tues I was definitely missing running. On Thursday I went for a three mile jaunt through Morro bay state park and was tired from NOT running! I started doing some more miles and took Saturday "off" (we had a beer mile). And Sunday I ran poly canyon and felt relatively fit!

Monday started the dipsea and headlands training regime again. I had an adventurous run (climb) up and around high school "hill". (1500 ft in one mi!!) and promptly slid down.

Tuesday I took it easy for a flat six miler through town with the cpdc ladies for much needed girl talk. Wednesday I ran (fast) around Madonna for a hilly run and felt fantastic. Thursday I ran up and down bishops for a long hilly run again, and ended up getting my second fastest (3rd all time) ascent.  But it felt easy! And Friday, a workout. 4x1200 and 10x60 stairs. I'm pacing myself and taking today off, and only 15 mi in MDO Sunday.

This week I've had fun! I LOVE hills, and running them faster than expected, while it feeling easy, is an awesome confidence booster. I smiled as I danced over rocks and sailed down bishops. I was laughing with my friends running through the tall, golden grass on Madonna. I had a hell of a time on HS hill and around on a true adventure run- climbing through and over barbed wire fences, crashing through non-trail bushes, splashing through a creek, and "glisading" down the hill.

During my workout, despite getting some blisters, I felt awesome. Smooth and steady through the 1200s, fasting but not pushing the pace. And on the stairs, I felt like I had more in the tank.

This whole week I mostly held myself back. It was fun. It was playful. It's why I love running.

Now I can't wait for next week.  I have some awesome runs in store- dipsea tempo and 20-22 mi of the headlands 50k course!

No comments:

Post a Comment