Thursday, August 7, 2014

Je vais a Chamonix!

As I sit here in the airport, waiting for my flight to take off I am overwhelmed by many emotions. I am scared, nervous intimidated and anxious for the biggest challenge I have yet to face coming up in three weeks. But I am also excited, happy, and eager to start this new adventure and new chapter of my life.

I trust in my training and the homework I have done. My mileage has been at an all time high and I have never felt better, which I owe to my awesome coach, Meghan. Even my easy weeks are 5-7 miles more than I have ever done.  My workouts have all felt smooth and at ease. My long runs have been executed and I have practiced with my pack and poles to the best of my ability. I have climbed as many vertical feet as I possibly could and done several night hikes/runs to simulate running through the night.  It is almost strange how comfortable and unafraid I feel now running alone in the middle of the night!

View from the top of Tam. 2780'
My best training run to date was last Sunday.  I had 30 miles scheduled and it was a hard and trying week. Not one run felt comfortable, good, or had any ease.  It felt like work each step and I did not get into a groove of any kind. My weekend was super busy, with runs barely squeezed in, work, babysitting, and visiting friends.  This led to not much sleep and a lot of standing up, making me even more tired than I already felt.  Sunday came and I had work, so I planned my long run to do after I got off at 4 pm. I wanted to imitate Fernando’s run of the Double Dipsea & Double Mt Tam summit and knew it would take a very long time since it had 9000’ of vert.  (Exactly half of what I would do in my race!) After work I parked in Mill Valley and started my run around 5 pm.  I started on the Dipsea and it was so hard. It was a struggle and I was tired and slow.  I got out to just past the 5 mile rock and decided to turn around. I didn’t need to go all the way into Stinson and I had already done the climb up Cardiac and the stairs, which was good enough for me.  I ran back to Mill Valley’s depot and started up the arduous Hill Climb route- 5k with 2500’.  It was also slow and painful. I tried to run up as much as I could but I ended up alternating running and powerhiking on Temelpa. I got to the top right as the sun started to set. Wow what a sunset! I then turned around and descended back down the hill climb route.  I got the Depot again right as it started getting dark. I switched on my headlamp and started right back up.  It was again slow, but I am pretty sure my splits were just about even- maybe a couple minutes apart.  At the top I was tired, hungry, and just done with the whole thing. I was hating how much I struggled to put one foot in front of the other.  That week just sucked. By mile 10 my ipod had died too, so I was alone with my thoughts as well.  I went down Railroad grade this time, hoping to have a faster descent and smooth sailing in the dark.  I wasn’t afraid of any night time critters, but desperate for human interaction, I called my best friend Taylor.  We chatted on the phone and updated me on the movie she was watching. Boy was that nice. However, reception at the top of mt tam was terrible, so soon I was by myself again.  Usually, I can sail down RR grade at most 7:30 pace.  I was barely making 9 min miles.  I was in anguish when I would get to certain landmarks, frustrated I wasn’t farther.  I just wanted the run to be over.  My body didn’t hurt physically, but mentally and emotionally I was destroyed.  I finally got down to the depot and finished my run around 11:30 pm. I had gone 27 miles and climbed 8500’.  I definitely did not want or need to add on the extra three miles. I had been running and out there by myself for almost 7 hours and I was wiped out.
Sunrise from another Tam summit run.
Even though the pace was terrible, my fatigue off the charts, and my overall sufferfest unmatched thus far in my career, it was the best run I could have possibly done.  Mentally I stuck with the plan and gutted it out, even though I was alone and having a terrible time.  I got through it and my mindset is hardened. Being able to get through the bad patches and keep moving despite the circumstances will be my best preparation for CCC.
Karl the Fog tasting the trees from Railroad Grade


I am confident in my abilities and grateful for the opportunity.  I am so excited to represent The North Face, San Francisco Running Company, Cal Poly, and young women in the running world on an international stage with the Alps as my audience! Thank you so much to all my friends and family who have supported me- giving advice, running together, mentoring me, and the well wishes! I feel very loved and grateful for everything given to me to get to where I am and where I am going.  See You in Chamonix!!

No comments:

Post a Comment