Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Onto The Next One

December is an exciting time. The holidays are around us, surrounded by friends, family & cheer. Excitement is in the air for the coming of a new year. However, there is also sadness at the passing of the old one- perhaps unfulfilled resolutions, regrets, devastation...
On The Long Trail (of Life?) with mary
Post WTC 50k Cool Kids Crew
I feel so fortunate and grateful to be able to say that this year has been amazing; one of my best, really. Looking back, I have taken myself to new places, distances, mental reserves with great success and a smile. I set a personal best in the 50k by over an hour; traveled to the French Alps to run one of the hardest 100k races in the world, while experiencing living in a foreign country; I set a PR in the mile after a 10 mile workout in the am; I hiked about 100 miles of The Long Trail with one of my best friends & mentors; I ran my first 50 miler as a training race, and have trained harder than I ever have before. I still hold a sense of disbelief that I could do all of these things, but it just further supports my desire to set lofty goals and KNOW that I can achieve them. It also fuels my 20-year old ego that anything is possible... ;)

The Queen & I on Coastal
I cannot take all the credit, though. All of these dreams have been realized largely by the unending support I have received. My family cares so much about my athletic career and have been so selfless in helping me in any way they can. They genuinely desire to know how I am doing on a daily basis, what my sights are set on, and how they can fit in the picture. My mom, grandma and aunt flew to Europe to crew for me and be present to share in the experience of a lifetime. Most family members have been to almost all of my races, and I am so grateful for that. My coach, Meghan, and I started working together in March, and I am SO fortunate for her expert guidance, advice, and friendship. She pushes me hard in just the right way and I trust her 110%. Her workouts and training get me so excited to run each day and I always want to do my best. However, on the days when running sucks and I feel discouraged, she can pick me up and stop my whining. ;)

Quality Friends & Quality Badasses.
Finally, the running community I adore so much has taken me to great heights. With the love and encouragement from old friends, new friends, and everybody in between. I am always taken aback by the level of commitment and care exemplified by all the people involved in this wonderful sport. Volunteers at aid stations make them seem like parties & make all the difference in the world as we all chase PRs. Supporters and an ever-increasing fan base of this sport such as IRunFar make running-nerds like myself on top of the whos-who and what's being done happenings around the world. It's really quite amazing this culture we have, and I am so grateful to be a part of it.

This picture can't have words-Not even 1000
With all that said, we can put 2014 in the past and start looking ahead to 2015. It's been said often that it's not about the destination, but the journey. However, 2015 is looking to have several awesome destinations.  First, Bandera 100k is just around the corner; starting the year off with a bang. I am hoping to earn a ticket to Western States 100 mile through the Montrail Ultra Cup. This race is a big deciding factor in how the rest of the year will pan out. If not, I am still setting my sights on 100 miles. Perhaps Cascade Crest or Pine to Palm? Meghan and I will pick races accordingly to fill the gaps until then. There's still so much up in the air, but I am still excited and eager to see what the future holds & where my running will take me next (literally & figuratively!)

Mont Blanc in all her glory
One of the ways I define myself is that I am always making goals and trying to achieve them. Though this time of year reminds us to venture out and try new things or improve upon the old, I will always be creating new dreams regardless of the day-month-year. With that being said, I also just want to keep on doing what I love: dancing on trails, laughing with friends, exploring, and pushing myself farther & faster, through new life experiences. I am so excited to see what 2015 brings. I feel as if I have really defined myself and found my identity and I cannot wait to show who I am to the world. Plus, I turn 21 in June so I will soon be able to enjoy post race beers legally. ;)
Lastly, I'm so happy that The North Face, Julbo eyewear, & Petzl have taken a chance on me. I'm so excited to be a part of their families and represent trail running through them. They have given me the confidence and enthusiasm to pursue my absolute best & beyond.

And with that, we're Onto The Next One.
Sup.

No comments:

Post a Comment