Friday, September 12, 2014

CCC Race Week

On Sunday I moved in to a flat near the center of town from my hostel. I successfully hitchhiked about 4 km, which I am pretty proud of. I was staying with Meghan Arbogast, my coach, and Craig & Laurie thornley, the race director for western states. 



All week was very relaxing. There wasn't too much running but plenty of walking around. As the race got closer and closer throughout the month, I noticed that there were more and more runners vs the usual tourists/mountain adventurers. I had such a fun time walking around with Meghan Craig and Laurie, getting croissants and coffee, drinking wine and making delicious dinner.

It was also great to see the expo for utmb. It was unlike anything in the us! The whole place du Mont Blanc square was filled with these tiny wood buildings (as opposed to tents) and every European (and some American) running related vendor was there. There were also booths for other incredible international races.

It was also amazing to meet so many other runners from all over the us and world that week. It blew my mind to have all the interactions that I did.

Packet pickup was such an interesting process. I had to go in, show my passport and I would receive a list of randomly selected items I had to show from my pack. They were making sure everyone had the required gear. So then I showed that I had my mobile phone, rain jacket, long sleeve shirt and wind jacket combo and rain pants. Next I had my pack tagged and received a CCC wristband. I also got my finishers t shirt and a "drop bag". For utmb some of the elites had to get a blood test!!

The day before the race, nothing big happened. My mom and grandma had arrived so we got lunch and hung out a bit. But I mostly just wanted to lay low and not do anything. However, all week I had been anxiously biting my nails and twiddling my fingers in anticipation! The night before, I barely slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment